Monday 17 March 2008

"Brilliant!", "Fantastic", "Great" is the response I always try to give to the question "How are you?" and it always seems to confuse some people who would clearly prefer it if I said "I'm OK!"...

When I gave this response recently to a colleague he asked me how I can always answer that way. "Life ISN'T always brilliant, fantastic or great" he said to me and of course he's right. My life, like yours I suspect, isn't always great. In fact, sometimes life can be dreadful. But most people don't want to hear about the things that are going wrong in my life. It's not that I live in a world where everything is always brilliant and I expect everyone else lives in that same world. I live in the real world where we all have difficulties, awful days and where things often go badly. I have colleagues with whom I share the ups and downs and they share their lives with me. I am grateful to have people like that in my life. They are the ones I know I can call when my life is falling apart and they can call me too.

However, I believe that I have a choice each day. I can look for the brilliant in everyday and be grateful for it or I can focus on all the stuff that goes wrong and the tragedies that surround us. I choose the brilliant and the everyday magic. And that makes my life great, even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

What are you going to choose?
Chris

No comments: