Thursday 24 May 2007

I received an e-mail today from one of my colleagues who has got a fantastic new job...


"Dear Chris, I announced to my Governors on Monday, and to my staff today, my imminent departure from Leeds to take up a headship in North Wales. This is a fantastic 'work life balance' opportunity for my family to move to an area where we have wanted to live for some time & also a tremendous professional challenge for me (no SATs, no CVA, no league tables......no money!!!!).


I want you to know that, although it has been a roller-coaster for me, I have enjoyed working in Leeds so much that I could not begin to tell you. A lot of people,including myself at times, have scoffed at your oft stated assertion that there are 'brilliant' people in Leeds - well it is 100% true. There are many colleagues in Leeds I will miss, both professionally and personally, and I could possibly name them all. At Education Leeds I have come across so many great people that it may be unfair to mention anyone in particular, but I would like to thank both you and your colleagues for allowing me to work closely with you on many projects over my time. I hope I may have made some small contribution to pushing things forward in the right direction - and if not you an always blame me for stuff when I've gone!!

I think it is worth pointing out that, under the Welsh Assembly Government, things are entirely different in Wales and so it will take me a while to get used to things. One thing that is already clear, however, is how well off Leeds is financially and you should take some of the credit for that personally because you have ensured that Leeds never gets forgotten. Learners in Leeds will thank you one day I'm sure."

It's great to know that colleagues leaving Leeds, with nothing to gain or lose, recognise and celebrate what we have here... people and provision that is so unique and so special.
Chris

No comments: