Tuesday 1 May 2007

One of my colleagues has had a go at me about the blog and I would welcome some feedback...

The colleague, who I hold in high regard, wanted me to know how cross she was because her school wasn't on the blog as a brilliant place. I explained that the blog is a diary of places I have been and my reflections on the time I spend with colleagues and young people. It isn't and can vever be a comprehensive account of the best of Leeds... I simply hadn't been to her school recently.

She also wanted to know whay I was so positive about schools, colleagues and children since her understanding of the schools and the colleagues I had visited was very different. Again I explained that being positive is a state of mind and that if you look for brilliant you very often find it. It is also important to praise in public and to criticise in private.

However my colleague said that this undermines the real value of my comments and my feedback because if everyone is brilliant, talented, gorgeous and wonderful what's special about that. I can of course see what she means and I have had this conversation with other colleagues before... but can you ever be too positive!

I would welcome your feedback to help me further improve the blog.
Chris

6 comments:

Oaf said...

Chris

You are unfailingly positive and do name a lot of people as being brilliant, talented, gorgeous and wonderful. My view is that this is right in a blog read by all kinds of people (including oafs - or is it oaves?)
You can hardly go visit a school or have a team meeting and then come back and say they are rubbish. This would be bad form and I doubt you would get any further invites. As you say, praise in public and criticise behind closed doors.

To vary the tone of this blog, you could have the occasional feature called "The dark side of Chris" where you explore things in general that are not brilliant or that don't make you happy, such as
mobile phones in restaurants or people who stick chewing gum under tables.

Thanks for your previous advice about happiness being found with good company and laughter. I now realise my prediliction for pies, beer and treacle with dumplings has been a poor substitute for quality social interaction. It has also led to snide remarks from Mrs Oaf and my headteacher about general portliness.

Oaf

Chris Edwards said...

Hi Oaf,
I love the idea of 'The Dark Side of Chris' and I'll work on it.
THANKS
Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi,

yes you do have tendancy to use brilliant,wonderful and fantastic a lot. Some might say that you are overly positive.

However, as teachers or an agency in education we have to look for the positives, the good amongst the bad.

Continue to heap praise because fundamentally because it raises morale and self esteem.

You could try this line in a blog though ;what makes this place unique is ..... and genuinely pick out one thing that is tryuly special.

personally i think the person who complained has too much time on their hands, which you think I did too, back to marking and applying for jobs....

Chris Edwards said...

Thanks for the reminder and the advice.
Chris

Anonymous said...

I think it is ridiculous to complain that a particular school hasn't been included in a list. Neither was mine, but then you haven't visited us recently...

Your positivity is understood and expected. I actually think you have toned it down a little over the past couple of years.

I find the blog interesting although I skim the bits when you simply laud your colleagues. I do find it useful to know what has been going on around the city. I think Meanwood's achievements are amazing!

Chris Edwards said...

I think I have just got older and wiser but I am grateful for the feedback.
THANKS
Chris