Toilets matter and we have seen a transformation over the last few years. The TES Magazine had a great article about this which included the School Toilet Charter; Setting bog standards;
- Pupils must be allowed to use the toilet whenever they need to.
- There must be enough toilet cubicles for all pupils.
- Toilet cubicles must be private and have doors that lock.
- Pupils with special needs must have suitable, easily accessible toilets.
- Toilets must be looked after properly and not smell.
- Warm water and soap must be provided, plus towels or hand dryers.
- There must be enough toilet paper in all cubicles.
- Sanitary products and disposal units must be provided in toilets for girls aged eight and over.
- Toilets must be free from bullies and smokers.
- Schools must have a policy to keep pupils’ toilets clean and in good condition.
- Pupils must be involved in managing and improving their toilets.
- All complaints about toilets must be taken seriously.
You can find out more about the School Toilet Charter at www.bog-standard.org.