Wednesday 28 February 2007

It's funny but I received a comment from Mary who had just come across the blog. "u've got a nice job. visiting Tony Blair and a few schools, interesting. But what exactly do you do?" I sometimes ask myself that question... what does the Chief Executive of Education Leeds actually do?

I suppose the answer is I lead a brilliant organisation which has made an incredible difference over the last six years; a team of about 1200 brilliant, talented, gorgeous and wonderful people working with 270 schools, 16000 colleagues and around 4000 governors transforming outcomes for 113000 children and young people. Our success measured by a 25% increase in good grade GCSE results, an extra two days attendance for every child in Leeds and a 50% reduction in permanent exclusions. Our schools are fantastic... 25% of our primary schools are outstanding and our SILCs (special schools) are good with outstanding features according to OfSTED, and our secondary schools are improving year on year.

We have over this time developed a range of truly exceptional toolkits and programmes which are building brilliant learning places consistently across Leeds... from Healthy Schools, Inclusion programmes, Stephen Lawrence Education Standard, Study Support programmes, Breakfast Clubs, Wake and Shake, Investors in Pupils, Playing for Success, STEPS, Travellers support, PE and School Sport programmes, Assylum Seekers support, Talented and Gifted programmes, Mentoring programmes, Parent Support programmes... you name it we do it!

OK there is still a lot to do but we are getting there!
Chris

2 comments:

set said...

Chris,

Things are turning out to be more complicated than I first thought.

Having received a special reward from K for my part in exposing the whole Cumbrian fiasco I am re-instated into my old job and promptly dispatched to visit an excellent learning environment in Slederberg.

Saw some really cool things. Classrooms full of sofas and so full of plants it felt as though one was sitting in a conservatory. Classical music drifted through every room and corridor. Children circulated freely pursuing their own intersts for about half of the day. It wasn't until last Thursday I suspected something was wrong.

I was reclining on a particularly nice sofa in the science zone when I suddenly realised that I'd yet to meet a member of teaching staff. As K had told me to be back by Friday afternoon I figured that after last time I should make sure to be prompt. I put down the newspaper and scanned the entire building, not a teacher in sight! The alarm bells rang big time when I noticed intense activity around one corner of the lab. Creeping closer I stole a glance at the long line of bottles carefully lined up on a work bench, 'Year 6 Fuel Additive Investigation'. In a blitz of penny drops the glimpses of lakeland landscape watercolours adorning the art zone flashed before my eyes. I ran for the door.

What's going on Chris? Did Blair mention anything or is K keeping him in the dark too?

Pat said...

tnks 4 sayn ths bot me. stil dnt kno wht u do but it snds big an impt. tnik tis SET is mad! he on drgs r sumat?

mum il kil me 4 bein up so late. u goin 2 wrt agn? by da way thm KS3 SATS is hrd