Monday 2 July 2007

Visiting the Heads of PE Conference reminded me of the Sunscreen Song. Just make sure that you read it more than once...

"Ladies and gentlemen if I could offer you one tip for the future this would be it…… wear sunscreen. The benefits of sunscreen have been proven by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will give you this advice now….

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth..never mind you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they’ve faded. Trust me in twenty years you will look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can’t imagine how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked.

Don’t worry about the future or worry and know that worrying is about as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never cross your troubled mind… and don’t we know it!

Do one thing everyday that scares you.

Sing.

Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts and don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don’t waste time on jealousy… sometimes your ahead sometimes your behind. The race is long and in the end it’s only with your self.

Remember the compliments you receive… forget the insults. If you succeed with this tell me how.

Keep your old love letters… throw away your bank statements.

Stretch.

Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what to do with your life. Some of the most interesting people I know still don’t know what to do with theirs.

What ever you do don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself too much. Your choices are half chance… so are everybody else’s.

Enjoy your body.. use it everyway you can. Don’t be afraid of it or what other people think of it, it is the greatest instrument you’ll ever own.

Dance… even if you have no where to do it but in your own living room.

Read the directions even if you don’t follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines they will only make you feel ugly.

Be careful whose advice you buy but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia… dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, washing it off, painting over the ugly bits and recycling it for more than it is worth.

TRUST ME……"


The Sunscreen Song reminds us, in this crazy mixed up world of the National Strategies, the DFES, OFSTED that we musn't forget what is important and the things that really matter.
Chris

2 comments:

Oaf said...

Morning Chris, Oaf here.

I have just read the sunscreen song and note some of the points made.

Where do youth and power go? I looked in the mirror the other day and daylight is definitely not my friend. I look back at photos of me in my oafish magnificence and think alas and alack. 'Tis a straw hat these days to protect my pate from the sun. Mrs Oaf calls me Dobbin.

I have tried doing some things that scare me - cycling with my eyes shut and visiting rough pubs whilst wearing a cravat and plus fours.

Flossing is a dangerous past time. I myself have tried this and ended up with cut gums and floss stuck between my teeth so I look like some awful incarnation of a maypole.
Worse still, Mrs Oaf also flosses regularly and once put the floss in the toilet bowl, leading me for one awful moment to think I had some kind of fatal worm infestation.

I do not read beauty magazines, not because they make me feel ugly but because they are full of adverts and vacuous drivel.
Far better to subscribe to 'Pie Monthly' which celebrates all forms of the pastry wrapped comestible.

Hurrah

Oh, and you would get more readers if you had a link from infobase - obviously you are in my favourites, but some people are more callow.

The Oaf

Chris Edwards said...

Dear Oaf,
As one of the few people I know regularly reads the blog I am as always grateful for your reflections and wisdom. I only wish I knew your name.
Chris