Wednesday 8 July 2009

My colleague Helen Pemberton, one of our school improvement advisers, sent me this wonderful piece of news...

"Hi Chris, I thought you might be interested. I've been lucky enough to win a place on the fourth plinth - 10am 14th July. I'm going to say 'Good morning London' in as many languages as I can and throw a souvenir off the plinth for every time I say one - the souvenir will have a sticker on it which will have my name, date and time and 'Fourth Plinth' on it. I'm being taught quite a lot of the anguages by City of Leeds pupils which should be good fun. I've also been taught Good morning London in PECS and Makaton by the NW SILC. Best wishes, Helen."

The Fourth Plinth is the name given to the empty plinth in the north-west corner of Trafalgar Square in London. It was originally designed by Sir Charles Barry and built in 1841 to display an equestrian statue. There were not enough funds available at the time to create a statue and so the plinth was sometimes referred to as the 'empty plinth'. Helen is one of the first group of people selected from thousands of applicants across the UK to occupy the empty Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square in July for celebrated artist Antony Gormley’s One & Other project. You can watch Helen on Sky Active!
Chris

No comments: