In the book "Diagnosis Boreout: How a Lack of Challenge at Work Can make You Ill" Peter Werder challenges organisations to look at their teams and see whether they are heading for burnout or boreout. He says we should ask ourselves the following questions:
- Do you feel under-challenged or bored at work?
- Do you often complete private tasks at work?
- Do you sometimes pretend to be busy at work when in reality you aren't?
- Are you tired and apathetic after work yet haven't been challenged during the day?
- Are you unhappy with your work?
- Do you find your work meaningless?
- Could you complete your work quicker if you wanted to?
- Do you send private e-mails during work hours?
- Do you use your personal mobile phone during working hours?
- Do you have little or no interest in your work?
If the answer to more than a couple of these questions is yes, you may be heading for boreout! Talk to your teamleader, your Strategy Manager or Dirk, Ros or I and we will try to help.