Mike O'Brien, from the Pacific Institute, ran a whole day's training on 'Developing Leadership at All Levels'. His key messages were:
- that we have to convince people that their efforts make a real difference;
- that culture change is driven by leadership;
- that managing change is about growth and focus.
If we are going to develop a belief across Education Leeds that my effort makes a difference we must focus on:
- accountability... we must take responsibility for getting the job done;
- initiative... we must be self-motivated and self-managed;
- creativity and innovation... we must be free to take risks and try things out;
- integrity... we must be honest and open in everything we do;
- working effectively with others... we must develop teamwork and partnerships.
We must develop a constructive culture and create alignment through:
- clear vision... where are we going?
- clear strategy... how are we going to get there?
- clear expectations... what do you expect of me?
Above all we must focus on the outcomes not on the process...